Pages

Sunday 29 September 2013

Riri Nyarwenda, The art of spelling and City of Stars Festival

"My name is Lili" i said when i introduced myself as soon as arrived in the country. " Oh Riri" Most of Malawian would reply. At the beginning patiently i tried to spell L I L I to them, and they would follow with R I R I. But after knowing that spelling was useless, and that soon after i was told that they always confused the letter "L" and "R" i just stoped correcting them. After 6 months being in country i already get used to hear people call me with RIRI instead of LILI. This art of spelling in Malawi sometimes make me and some other friends laugh our *ss off. For example with the word 'ELECTION" i always hear people said "ERECTION" :)...hilarious...


Anyways, it comes to my surprise that some of the leaders in the group of community where i am working gave me a local name. These 6 months i made a lot of field visit to the village and interact with them but nothing like this experience. It's all started when i took them to the knowledge exchange visit in Zomba about 900 km from Karonga. Spending a full week with them during the field visit to the sites of a climate change adaptation project in Lake Chilwa basin in Zomba helped us to know each other more. To be honest, leading 14 representatives from the community would never be easy especially when you have to ask somebody to translate what you are saying although there are couple of people who speak basic English who can ask me questions when they confuse. They seemed so happy  to have such an opportunity to travel and experience different life from what they have in Karonga. Especially when we visited one of the forest community in Mangochi, i could tell that they are amazed and felt important when we were welcomed with a lot of dancing and singing from the community. One leader looked at me in the eyes and say "Thank you for bringing us here", another lady came to me and just hug me with moistened eyes said something in the local language that i couldn't understand. Apparently, being welcomed with a lot of singing and dancing are something special for them which led to something special for me as soon as we were back to the hotel. Some of the leaders who can communicate simple english called me and said "Now your name is Mama Riri Nyarwenda" seems like they trust me enough to become part of them. I was moved for this is one of the highlight of my presence here in Malawi, they are accepting me.

The week is continuously better and better as i am taking my first 2 weeks vacation right after the workshop. It happened that the famous City of Stars Festival in Lilongwe were taken place. For the first time since i arrive i feel so free, two days in a row we were having fun, partying, dancing, eating, drinking, and  singing along with the bands (from reggae, to jazz, to Malawian music, to slum poetry, to sexy malawian dancing, ect ect ). It was best party in Malawi especially i was doing it with cool people, i am blessed.
The famous singer Lusius Banda on the background

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Lili. Enjoyed reading it so much especially as I can picture the people from the workshops we did together. Also the confusion between the r and the l. Some of their names is written with an r and they pronounce it like an l. I miss that beautiful country daily and feel completely lost back home in NL. Enjoy your holidays and big hugs my dear friend. marlien

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marlien thanks so much...glad to have shared some moments in the village with you. Big hugs Love

      Delete
  2. I liked it, especially the site visit part. You know here I never see or spend time with the VNRMCs, but yet I have to pretend to know what they need by bringing them somewhere. Your text really touched me, I am so happy that they have like... I wish I could be with those people.... Anyway, you showed the meaning of my work here! Thank you Lili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice words...you contributed to my journey here too, you made those people smile for bringing them to that place..congrats Flo...

      Delete